Halloween Safety Message
Halloween is approaching, and this year it will be different than previous years. Our agency will be participating in a number of drive-through "Trunk or Treat" Halloween events sponsored by New St. Hurricane Baptist Church located 3319 S. Ohio Street in Pine Bluff, AR on Saturday, October 30, 2021, from 5 pm -7 pm, and the Veterans of Foreign War located at 1518 E. Harding Avenue in Pine Bluff, AR on Saturday, October 30, 2021, from 3 pm - 6 pm. For more information or a listing of these events, please visit the following link: https://www.jeffcoso.org/calendar
Additionally, with the COVID-19 pandemic continuing, we want to offer guidance and information regarding how to have a safe (but still fun!) Halloween.
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) has several recommendations for low- and moderate-risk activities to allow children to remain safe while still having the fun and excitement that comes with Halloween. According to the CDC, the standard door-to-door trick-or-treating and even trunk-or-treating activities are very high-risk.
Lower Risk Activities include:
- Carving pumpkins with your family or outside with others, at a safe distance.
- Doing a Halloween scavenger hunt, keeping a safe distance from others outdoors.
- Have an at-home trick-or-treating activity, where your children find hidden candy around the home or from family members.
Moderate Risk Activities include:
- Trick-or-treating where children can grab individually wrapped goodie bags of candy from the end of driveways or edge of yards.
- Go to a haunted forest with one-way paths and social distancing.
For more information about having a safe & fun Halloween during COVID-19, visit CDC.gov.
With a little preparation, communication and diligence, Halloween can be a safe and enjoyable evening for all. Of course, we will be on patrol and available to you and your children should you need us. As always, dial 911 in case of an emergency.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Lafayette Woods, Jr.